Saturday, December 26, 2009

And to all a good night.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Sorry for taking so long to post. Would you believe a dinosaur ate my laptop? I was abducted by well meaning aliens? I was the innocent by-standard in an epic pirates v. ninja battle?....no?

Well, the truth is drearily simpler; life has been hectic. I have been working 10+ hours every day for the past week and half. And when I do finally get home, I am just too pooped to party. I was so busy I didn't even have time to plan any of Christmas dinner. :-(

I did attempt to blog about my struggles of working and attempting to maintain a life: a relatable story with universal appeal. One in which people will see their troubles through my own trials, and people would find the value in their own lives. But honestly, it was just self-serving bitching and that's not what I want to use this blog for....yet.

Fortunately I had Christmas and Christmas Eve off and they have been rejuvenating. Other than one slightly-major work related emergency, I did not have to leave the house once. I spent my time baking, sleeping, watching movies with the family, and in general was a bum. It was nice.

In the past month's Saveur Magazine had a feature on Swedish holiday treats. The recipe I found the most appealing was a saffron bun called lussekatter (still not exactly sure how to pronounce it). Being the boughie-foodie that I am,I have been interested in using "the most expensive spice in the world" for some time now: saffron. And these buns sounded like the perfect opportunity. I wasn’t sure what to expect from the saffron but it was nice. Sweet with a slight tang to it. Appealing enough I will probably try to use it another way. Possibly in a stew? (I am accepting suggestions/recipes you know are good.) But not so good that I will be depleting my bank account every month to buy it on the regular.

I also baked some gingerbread cookies the day of Christmas. (Sorry Santa.) Christmas was very relaxed, lots of time spent with the family, and a delicious meal prepared by my mother. Very excited about the new pasta attachment I got for the Kitchen Aide. Expect my adventures with that posted soon. But first, my break is over so it is back to the grind stone, or in my case back to the gelato scoop.

No comments:

Post a Comment