Monday, January 4, 2010

Lies my teacher told me.

I just finished reading the revised edition of James W. Loewen's insightful expose  Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong.  This book should be required reading for every high school history teacher, and I strongly recommend it to Kneading follower. 




Originally released in 1995, Loewen surveyed the 12 most popular textbooks, taking note of misrepresentation, misinterpretations, and the flat our lies that the textbooks told.  Upon publication, Lies was an instant hit and re-released and updated in 2008 to include 6 additional textbooks.

What I found most interesting about Lies was not the correction of lies in textbooks.  Growing up with progressive parents who tried to raise me with an honest view of the world, supplemented with a college education which provided a more well rounded view of history than high school provided, and my own studies after college (like People's History of the United States), I could hardly said I found any of the untruths Loewen rectified ground breaking.   However what I found most interesting was Loewen's analysis on how textbooks are so inaccurate (i.e. heroification and eurocentrism), why textbooks are written the way they are, and what the ultimate effects on its' intended reader, the students.

The sociological study is really what made this book so unique and interesting to me.  Even for its complex concepts this book is written in an easy to follow and compelling narrative.  I found it to be a real page turner.  A great read: give it a shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment